[bitcoin-dev] BIP 158 Flexibility and Filter Size

Olaoluwa Osuntokun laolu32 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 01:15:22 UTC 2018

Hi Y'all,

The script finished a few days ago with the following results:

reg-filter-prev-script total size:  161236078  bytes
reg-filter-prev-script avg:         16123.6078 bytes
reg-filter-prev-script median:      16584      bytes
reg-filter-prev-script max:         59480      bytes

Compared to the original median size of the same block range, but with the
current filter (has both txid, prev outpoint, output scripts), we see a
roughly 34% reduction in filter size (current median is 22258 bytes).
Compared to the suggested modified filter (no txid, prev outpoint, output
scripts), we see a 15% reduction in size (median of that was 19198 bytes).
This shows that script re-use is still pretty prevalent in the chain as of
recent.

One thing that occurred to me, is that on the application level, switching
to the input prev output script can make things a bit awkward. Observe that
when looking for matches in the filter, upon a match, one would need access
to an additional (outpoint -> script) map in order to locate _which_
particular transaction matched w/o access to an up-to-date UTOX set. In
contrast, as is atm, one can locate the matching transaction with no
additional information (as we're matching on the outpoint).

At this point, if we feel filter sizes need to drop further, then we may
need to consider raising the false positive rate.

Does anyone have any estimates or direct measures w.r.t how much bandwidth
current BIP 37 light clients consume? It would be nice to have a direct
comparison. We'd need to consider the size of their base bloom filter, the
accumulated bandwidth as a result of repeated filterload commands (to adjust
the fp rate), and also the overhead of receiving the merkle branch and
transactions in distinct messages (both due to matches and false positives).

Finally, I'd be open to removing the current "extended" filter from the BIP
as is all together for now. If a compelling use case for being able to
filter the sigScript/witness arises, then we can examine re-adding it with a
distinct service bit. After all it would be harder to phase out the filter
once wider deployment was already reached. Similarly, if the 16% savings
achieved by removing the txid is attractive, then we can create an
additional
filter just for the txids to allow those applications which need the
information to seek out that extra filter.

-- Laolu