[bitcoin-dev] Should Graftroot be optional?

Gregory Maxwell greg at xiph.org
Wed May 23 23:45:09 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 10:06 PM, Natanael via bitcoin-dev
> Consider for example a P2SH address for some fund, where you create a
> transaction in advance. Even if the parties involved in signing the
> transaction would agree (collude), the original intent of this particular
> P2SH address may be to hold the fund accountable by enforcing some given
> rules by script. To be able to circumvent the rules could break the purpose
> of the fund.

I am having a bit of difficulty understanding your example.

If graftroot were possible it would mean that the funds were paid to a
public key.  That holder(s) of the corresponding private key could
sign without constraint, and so the accoutability you're expecting
wouldn't exist there regardless of graftroot.

I think maybe your example is only making the case that it should be
possible to send funds constrained by a script without a public key
ever existing at all.  If so, I agree-- but that wasn't the question
here as I understood it.