[bitcoin-dev] BIP 158 Flexibility and Filter Size

Tamas Blummer tamas.blummer at gmail.com
Mon May 28 18:18:12 UTC 2018

Hi Jim,

A “basic” combined filter would mean up to 0.5 GB filter data per month (with 100% segwith use). Considering that 1 GB is the usual data quota for an entry level mobile phone contract, this could be a too high barrier for adoption.

I repeated your calculations and produced a slightly different graph that shows the fraction of cummulative filter size to cummulative blockchain size. This is less noisy but otherwise confirms your measurement.

I think that the data supports separation of filters as a combined filter does not seem to come with significant savings. (basic  size ~= txid + input points + output scripts sizes)

My calculations are repeatable with:

https://github.com/tamasblummer/rust-bitcoin-spv/blob/blockfilterstats/src/bin/blockfilterstats.rs

that is using a Rust implementation of an SPV client built on top of other libraries we work on in the rust-bitcoin GitHub community (https://github.com/rust-bitcoin). Yes, this is a shameles plug for the project hoping to attract more developer.

Tamas Blummer