[bitcoin-dev] Minimizing the redundancy in Golomb Coded Sets

Jim Posen jim.posen at gmail.com
Tue May 29 22:38:01 UTC 2018

This is a really cool finding, thanks Pieter!

I did some more analysis on selecting a good P value to reduce total data
downloaded considering both filters themselves and blocks in the case of
false positive matches, using data from mainnet. The quantity it minimizes
is:

filter_size(N, B) + block_size * false_positive_probability(C, N, B)

N is the number of filter elements per block
B is the Golomb-Rice coding parameter
C is the number of filter elements watched by the client

The main result is that:

For C = 10, B = 13 is optimal
For C = 100, B = 16 is optimal
For C = 1,000, B = 20 is optimal
For C = 10,000, B = 23 is optimal

So any value of B in the range 16 to 20 seems reasonable, with M = 1.4971 *
2^B for optimal compression, as Pieter derived. The selection of the
parameter depends on the target number of elements that a client may watch.

I attached some of the results, and would be happy to share the CSV and raw
notebook if people are interested.

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 2:14 PM Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev <