[bitcoin-dev] Safer sighashes and more granular SIGHASH_NOINPUT

Christian Decker decker.christian at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:15:44 UTC 2018

Hi Pieter,

great proposal, I think this may address some of the (perceived)
downsides of BIP118, by committing to the script when possible
(always?). One minor thing that I noticed a while ago and that I meant
to fix on BIP118 is that `hashSequence` does not need to be blanked for
eltoo to work (since where it is needed we also use `sighash_single`),
so I'm tempted to remove that redundant blanking. It may not make a lot
of difference but it'd limit the ability to change the number of inputs
to a NOINPUT transaction (this now being the only field that commits to
the set of inputs).

As for your proposal, I really like the `sighash_scriptmask` proposal,
and committing to the fees (with the `nofee` escape hatch) also works
seems also a nice fix. My one concern is that introducing a new opcode
to mask things in the sighash looks like a similar layering violation as
`codeseparator` was, but that's just a minor issue imho.

Cheers,
Christian

Pieter Wuille via bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org>