[bitcoin-dev] Safer sighashes and more granular SIGHASH_NOINPUT

Johnson Lau jl2012 at xbt.hk
Wed Nov 21 17:55:22 UTC 2018

If we sign the txids of all inputs, we should also explicitly commit to their values. Only this could fully eliminate any possible way to lie about input value to hardware wallets

> Does it make sense to keep SIGHASH_NONE?
SIGHASH_NONE should be kept. ANYONECANPAY|NONE allows donation of dust UTXOs to miners

> I think NONE without NOFEE doesn't make much sense…….
We might refuse to sign weird combinations like NOFEE|ALLINPUT|ALLOUTPUT. But to keep the consensus logic simple, we should just validate it as usual.

> OP_MASK seems a bit complicated to me. …...
Yes, it looks complicated to me, and it improves security only in some avoidable edge cases in SIGHASH_NOINPUT:

The common case: the exact masked script or address is reused. OP_MASK can’t prevent signature replay since the masked script is the same.

The avoidable case: the same public key is reused in different script templates. OP_MASK may prevent signature replay is the masked script is not the same.

The latter case is totally avoidable since one could and should use a different public key for different script.

It could be made much simpler as NOINPUT with/without SCRIPT. This again is only helpful in the avoidable case above, but it doesn’t bring too much complexity.

> I don't have a reason why, but committing to the scriptCode feels to me like it reduces the "hackiness" of NOINPUT a lot.
OP_MASK is designed to preserve the hackiness, while provide some sort of replay protection (only in avoidable cases). However, I’m not sure who would actually need NOINPUT with KNOWNSCRIPT