[bitcoin-dev] Safer sighashes and more granular SIGHASH_NOINPUT

Johnson Lau jl2012 at xbt.hk
Fri Nov 23 10:47:10 UTC 2018

>Even still, each call to OP_CODESEPARATOR / OP_CHECKSIG pair requires recomputing a new #5. scriptCode from BIP 143, and hence computes a new transaction digest.

In the existing sighash (i.e. legacy and BIP143), there are 6 canonical SIGHASH types: 1, 2, 3, 0x81, 0x82, 0x83. In consensus, however, all 256 types are valid and distinct. An adversarial miner could use non-standard sighash types to nullify any attempt to cache sighash values (i.e. you have to compute a new tx digest for every OP_CHECKSIG, even without using OP_CODESEPARATOR).

The only way to prevent this is reject OP_CODESEPARATOR, FindAndDelete(), and non-standard SIGHASH with a softfork. However, this doesn’t work in the next-generation SIGHASH, as tens of standard sighash types will exist. And, more importantly, sighash cache is no longer necessary in segwit, with the legacy O(n^2) hash bug being fixed.

In summary, sighash cache is not necessary nor efficient in the next-generation SIGHASH, and is not a sufficient reason to remove OP_CODESEPARATOR, especially when people find OP_CODESEPARATOR useful in some way.

But just to be clear, I think OP_CODESEPARATOR should be deprecated in legacy scripts. There is a general negative sentiment against OP_CODESEPARATOR but I think we need to evaluate case by case.