[bitcoin-dev] Multi party Schnorr Rust implementation

Omer Shlomovits omer.shlomovits at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 08:13:08 UTC 2018

Hi,

AFAIK, There is no way to do threshold signatures non-interactively for the
general case of t out of n. Even if you are willing to maintain additional
data structure on top of the standard and change verification algorithm
(see for example appendix B in [1] where they use bitmaps).

The best way that I came up with so far (which I plan to implement in the
library) is to take SS01 paper [2], this also the paper cited in
bip-schnorr [3], and to replace Pedersen VSS with Feldman VSS (Feldman VSS
implementation can be found in [4] ). Basically taking the DKG from GG18
without paillier and the dlog pok (threshold ecdsa paper [5]) and use it
for the threshold schnorr DKG and for the ephemeral key distributed
generation. This will cause the lost of Robustness but will be more
efficient.

Generally speaking - the purpose of using threshold security is to replace
hw security. The assumption is that you would rather trust that no more
than t out of n different machines will get corrupted at same time than to
trust one secure hardware. Maybe that relax a bit the demand for using air
gapped devices?

[1] https://docs.zilliqa.com/whitepaper.pdf
[2]
https://github.com/KZen-networks/multi-party-schnorr/blob/master/papers/provably_secure_distributed_schnorr_signatures_and_a_threshold_scheme.pdf