[bitcoin-dev] A BIP proposal for transactions that are 'cancellable'

TUCCI Sara sara.tucci at cea.fr
Fri Sep 7 13:47:17 UTC 2018

Hello Gregory, all
  Thank you so much for your feedback. Our main objective in the research paper was in fact to study the "what-if" situation in which Bitcoin offered the cancellation of the transaction from the user's point of view. Our main interest was the model of the user-agents and quantify the possible "satisfaction" that the user can obtain while also quantifying a possible greater satisfaction with the respect to the current situation. When we wrote the document, we thought about the "implementability" of the cancellation through non-monotonous validity to obtain a more realistic model, but being very cautious in proposing or claiming any kind of mechanism. Of course we never thought that nobody ever proposed it before, that's why when we finished writing the paper, many questions remained unanswered and we decided to send you the document, to get your opinion, which is very useful for improving  the current model.
Although Bitcoin will never implement the mechanism because arguments for non-monotonous validity use case will not emerge, I think this type of study can be useful to conclude on that opportunity or as Brandon suggested to move to other approaches, like Lightning (even though even for Lightning several limitations still there exist !).

Sara

P.S.
Sorry for possible multiple copies of the message, I needed to subscribe to the mailing list and to repost __