[bitcoin-dev] Schnorr signatures BIP

Erik Aronesty erik at q32.com
Tue Sep 11 16:34:11 UTC 2018

 To answer points:

- I switched to the medium article so that I could correct, edit and
improve things to make them more clear.
- I responded to feedback by modifying the protocol to make it work - not
by ignoring it.
- I coded it up in python so I could be sure it worked, because I was
concerned that it was broken
- Yes, coding it up showed me that it's definitely interactive, and no
different than a "standard shnorr sig" in any meaningful way regarding the
security
- No special protocol support is needed over Schnorr signing itself.  The
e, s version can be made at least as secure as schnorr + DLP.  I haven't
researched the R,s version.
- An M-1 rogue-key attack would require the attacker would to either

  - attack the hash function to produce a predictable R based on a known
mesage
  - attack the DLP to influence x or k

Neither attack gives any particular advantage to someone who has M-1 keys.

I haven't tested whether the R,s version is susceptible though.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 9:15 AM Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev <