[bitcoin-dev] RFC: BIP 322: Generic Signed Message Format

Karl-Johan Alm karljohan-alm at garage.co.jp
Tue Sep 11 04:41:57 UTC 2018

Hi.

[note: BIP number was assigned to PR before this email was sent; I did
not self-assign the BIP number]

Below is a proposal to extend the existing sign/verifymessage format
to a more generalized variant relying on the script verification
mechanism in Bitcoin itself for message signing/verification, based on
the original discussion
(https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2018-March/015818.html)
.

PR is here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/725

A formatted version of this text can be seen here:
https://github.com/kallewoof/bips/blob/bip-generic-signmessage/bip-generic-signmessage.mediawiki

Note: I am not sure how to best deal with CLTV/CSV stuff here, ultimately.

Note 2: I have received suggestions from several people to use a
Bitcoin transaction instead. If someone could explain why this is
beneficial, it would be very helpful. I'm not against it, just feels
like the whole transaction part is unnecessary complexity/overhead.

---
<pre>
  BIP: 322
  Layer: Applications