[bitcoin-dev] Softfork proposal for minimum price of $50k USD/BTC

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 11:22:28 UTC 2019

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 02:32, Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev <

> Certain parts of the community have been selling bitcoins for unreasonably
> low prices. This has halted Bitcoin's valuation at $20k and even driven the
> price down below $15k! However, clearly Bitcoin is worth much more than
> that, and there is widespread support for higher prices.
>
> In light of this, I have written and implemented two BIPs: one to add a
> signed price field to Bitcoin transactions, and the other to softfork a
> minimum price of $50k USD/BTC a year from today.
>
> The BIPs are here, as well as included at the bottom of this email for
> convenience:
>   https://github.com/luke-jr/bips/blob/softfork_50k/bip-usdprice.mediawiki
>
> https://github.com/luke-jr/bips/blob/softfork_50k/bip-softfork-50k-price.mediawiki
>
> A reference implementation is here:
>
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/v0.17.1...luke-jr:softfork_50k
>
> Please review ASAP so we can get these deployed in Bitcoin Core v0.18.

This seems a little arbitrary.  Ask yourself, "Why the USD?".  Yes, it is
the dominant currency now, but in 2, 6, 10, 14 years?  Who knows.

You could make equally an argument to denominate in euros.  Or a basket of
currencies, or even the Bancor.

However the wider question is why even denominate in fiat at all?

I suggest denominating the minimum value in satoshsis themselves, which
would be a negligable upgrade to the network.