[bitcoin-dev] Improving SPV security with PoW fraud proofs

Ethan Heilman eth3rs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 03:21:53 UTC 2019

Good morning to you as well ZmnSCPxj,

My above email contains an error. The SPV client needs to only
download S+1, not S+1 and S+2.

I agree with you that a weakness of this approach is a miner can make
SPV clients do substantially more work. However:

1. Mining a block which will never be accepted is an expensive way to
make SPV clients download, validate and discard ~2-4 megabytes of
data. There are far less expensive ways of wasting the resources of
SPV clients. Its unclear why someone would want to do this instead of
just packeting full nodes or SPV servers like we saw with the recent
DDoS attacks against electrum servers.

2. SPV clients may not even learn about these splits because it
requires that someone relay the split to them. Honest full nodes
should not relay such splits. To their bitcoin's worth the attacker
must also connect to lots of SPV clients.

3. Having SPV clients slow down or become full nodes when a malicious
miner with significant mining power is attempting to disrupt the
network is probably a best case outcome. I would prefer this failure
mode to the current SPV behavior which is to just go with the
"longest" chain.

Thanks,
Ethan