[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin vaults with anti-theft recovery/clawback mechanisms

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Thu Aug 8 00:27:32 UTC 2019

Good morning Bryan,

> -   Re-vaulting transaction. This is where the magic happens. The re-vaulting
>     transaction is signed during transaction tree setup, before constructing the
>     delayed-spend transaction for the parent vault. The re-vaulting transaction is
>     broadcasted when someone wants to prevent a coin withdrawal during the public
>     observation delay period. The re-vaulting transaction spends the delayed-spend
>     transaction outputs. It has a single output with a script created by running
>     the entire vault setup function again. Hence, when the re-vaulting transaction
>     is confirmed, all of the coins go back into a new identically-configured vault
>     instead of being relinquished through the delayed-spend transaction timeout for
>     hot wallet key signing.

As transactions need to be signed in reverse order, it seems to me that there is a practical limit in the number of times a vault can be used.
Basically, the number of times we run the vault setup function is the limit on number of re-vaultings possible.

Is my understanding correct?

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj