[bitcoin-dev] Improving JoinMarket's resistance to sybil attacks using fidelity bonds

Dmitry Petukhov dp at simplexum.com
Thu Aug 8 12:05:05 UTC 2019

В Wed, 7 Aug 2019 20:10:17 +0500
Dmitry Petukhov via bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org>
wrote:

> In shared ownership rent scheme that ZmnSCPxj described in [1],
> the 'TXO rentier' has a signed timelocked 'backout' transaction that
> spends the locked TXO, and assigns the reward to rentier.
>
> If we say that any transaction that spends any TXO in the bond
> (ignoring the timelock), invalidates the bond when presented to
> takers, then TXO rentier can revoke the bond by simply
> publishing this transaction (not to the blockchain, but by some other
> means so that takers can receive it).
>
> The transaction validity can be verified, with the relaxed rules that
> ignores the timelock. After it is verified, takers mark the whole
> bond as revoked and will not consider it when chosing makers.

The backout transaction might not be timelocked itself, but can depend
on another timelocked transaction (made specifically to avoid the
backout transaction be timelocked). That extra transaction will need to
be broadcast before the backout transaction.

To account for that possibility, takers would need to either use more
relaxed verification rules (do not check if the inputs of the 'snitch
transaction' exist), or would need to check the whole package of
dependent transactions in which the last one spends the bond.