[bitcoin-dev] OP_LOOKUP_OUTPUT proposal

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Sat Aug 10 12:50:18 UTC 2019

Good morning Runchao,

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, August 10, 2019 1:44 PM, Runchao Han <runchao.han at monash.edu> wrote:

> Hi ZmnSCPxj,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I agree with your opinions about OP_LOOKUP_OUTPUT.
> Indeed, the pruning mechanism renders this opcode unrealistic for some nodes. Also, the execution of OP_LOOKUP_OUTPUT depends on the time of verifying this tx.
>
> However, I’m concerning of some security issues of your mentioned protocol (Alice pays the premium contingently on Bob participating).
> If I understand it right, Alice and Bob should create a payment channel, and mutually construct the funding transaction that “Alice pays Bob 10,000 WJT; Bob hash-timelocked pays Alice 1,000,000WJT”, where the time lock is T+24.
> Here, Bob is responsible for broadcasting this tx after confirming Alice’s funding transaction on BTC blockchain.

No, Bob is not.

The signature exchange for the WJT-side funding tx is done by:

1. Alice waits for Bob to provide all its signatures for inputs that will fund the 1,000,000 WJT payout.
2. Alice signs its inputs that will fund the 10,000 WJT premium.
3. Alice broadacasts the completely signed funding tx.

Alice is the one responsible for broadcasting the funding tx.

If Bob stalls, it is not a Bob side option (i.e. Bob cannot stall then continue the protocol when the exchange rate moves to its favor) as Alice can refuse to sign and broadcast the funding tx once it has decided Bob is trolling it, thus Bob cannot force Alice to perform.

If Alice stalls, Bob can double-spend one of its inputs at a low feerate.
This either aborts the protocol, or if Alice then broadcasts the funding tx at the pre-agreed feerate and it is confirmed, the premium is now already paid to Bob.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj