[bitcoin-dev] Base64-encoded descriptors

Trey Del Bonis j.delbonis.3 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 01:02:09 UTC 2019

Part of the aversion to using bech32 may be that the BCH code used in
bech32 for error detection doesn't hold up for messages longer than some
length (that I can't remember off the top of my head).  It still encodes
and decodes perfectly well but a decoder won't be guaranteed to detect
potential errors, so that's somewhat wasted there.  Maybe someone should
define a derivatives of bech32 that retains error detection properties for
longer message lengths, such as those used in lightning invoices.

QR codes (as Pavol mentioned) have built-in error detection (using its own
BCH code scheme), somewhat mitigate this when used there.  Although
personally I'm skeptical of how useful payment descriptors are for the
kinds of quick transactions that QR codes work well for.

-Trey

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019, 6:55 PM Spencer Dupre` via bitcoin-dev <