[bitcoin-dev] Non-equal value CoinJoins. Opinions.

Ethan Heilman eth3rs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 17:38:11 UTC 2019

I'm only going to talk about cashfusion and not the knapsack paper.

The language they use to describe the cashfusion protocol is very
broad and could describe many things. Because it is hard so vague I
don't want to dismiss the cashfusion approach out of hand. For
instance they say: "inputs of arbitary amounts in the neighborhood of
~0.1 BCH" what exactly does this mean?

Attack 1:
If we assume arbitrary means any precision then a trivial attack is
possible. Consider the case where one of the inputs has more precision
than any other input. This allows an attacker to trivially break the
privacy of that input:

Lets look at a toy example that takes 12 inputs and creates 3 outputs
inputs:
0.1525
0.1225
0.1145
0.1443
0.1144111
0.1001
0.1124
0.1093
0.1113
0.1134
0.1029
0.1206

Outputs:
0.4648111
0.5185
0.4349

Clearly output output 0.4648111 contains input 0.1144111.

Attack 2:
Let's say you attempt to address this problem this by limiting the
precision of inputs to two decimal places i.e. 0.1X where 0<=X<=9.
Consider the case of 10 users where each user is always joining sets
of 10 inputs to create 1 output. Thus in total you would have 100
inputs and 10 outputs in the coinjoin. If one of those outputs is 2
then you know its inputs must all be 0.2. Using this method you can
start eliminate input output pairs far faster brute force. How much
faster is hard to say without adding additional assumptions for
instance are these inputs amounts drawn from a uniform distribution?

I want to be clear. I'm not saying cashfusion is broken or that this
more inputs than outputs technique is a dead end. However the
description given is vague and could be interpreted to describe a
broken protocol. Is this actively being used?

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 8:29 PM nopara73 via bitcoin-dev