[bitcoin-dev] Interrogating a BIP157 server, BIP158 change proposal

Olaoluwa Osuntokun laolu32 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 00:05:57 UTC 2019

Hi Matt,

> In (the realistic) thread model where an attacker is trying to blind you
> from some output, they can simply give you "undo data" where scriptPubKeys
> are OP_TRUE instead of the real script and you'd be none the wiser.

It depends on the input. If I'm trying to verify an input that's P2WSH,
since the witness script is included in the witness (the last element), I
can easily verify that the pkScript given is the proper witness program.

> Huh? I don't think we should seriously consider
> only-one-codebase-has-deployed-anything-with-very-limited-in-the-wild-use
as
> "too late into the current deployment"?

I'd wager that most developers reading this email right now are familiar
with neutrino as a project. Many even routinely use "neutrino" to refer to
BIP 157+158. There are several projects in the wild that have already
deployed applications built on lnd+neutrino live on mainnet. lnd+neutrino is
also the only project (as far as I'm aware) that has fully integrated the
p2p BIP 157+158 into a wallet, and also uses the filters for higher level
applications.

I'm no stranger to this argument, as I made the exact same one 7 months ago
when the change was originally discussed. Since then I realized that using
input scripts can be even _more_ flexible as light clients can use them as
set up or triggers for multi-party protocols such as atomic swaps. Using
scripts also allows for faster rescans if one knows all their keys ahead of
time, as the checks can be parallelized. Additionally, the current filter
also lends better to an eventual commitment as you literally can't remove
anything from it, and still have it be useful for the traditional wallet use
case.

As I mentioned in my last email, this can be added as an additional filter
type, leaving it up the full node implementations that have deployed the
base protocol to integrate it or not.

-- Laolu