[bitcoin-dev] Interrogating a BIP157 server, BIP158 change proposal

Tamas Blummer tamas.blummer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 08:09:55 UTC 2019

Hi Laolu,

space savings come with the rather serious current disadvantage, that a light client is not
in the position to check the filter. Also the advanced uses you mention are subject to this, for now.
Building more on a shaky fundament does not make it look better.

Now that we have seen advantages of both filters, what keeps us from offering both by Core?

Computing the addional spent-outpoint output-script filter is cheaper than the current one as
it can be done with the block as only context, it does not need UTXO nor undo blocks no journals or
whatever else. I do not see how my statement regarding this was incorrect.

There is a political issue though, why I favor better provable uncommitted filter:

I am skeptical that commitment of any filter will come into Core soon.
The reason of my skepticism is political, not technical.

A committed filter makes light clients much more reliable and attractive, for some taste too much more.

Clients that follow PoW are not significant on the current network. Core nodes enforce many more rules,
some as important as miners' reward. A committed filter would strengthen light clients
significantly, such that perhabs too many were compelled using them instead of a Core node.
Would the remaining Core nodes be sufficient to enforce checks not covered? I see how this is a dilemma.

Is this a dilemma because we think black-white? Light(er) clients might implement checks that are more
than blind PoW trust even if less than all Core checks. Has the time come to allow for this?

Tamas Blummer