[bitcoin-dev] Generalized covenants with taproot enable riskless or risky lending, prevent credit inflation through fractional reserve

Eric Voskuil eric at voskuil.org
Thu Jul 4 18:31:03 UTC 2019

> On Jul 4, 2019, at 12:10, Tamas Blummer <tamas.blummer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> there are some other ways to impose cost on use without direct billing, e.g.:
>
> - Burn Bitcoins to use the service, as you mentioned. This could work and would benefit remaining Bitcoin owner, but is unsustainable.

Burning is not an economic concern and cannot be prevented. As there are fewer coins, all things being equal, the cost of each increases, and thus fewer must be burned to achieve the same cost. So assuming sufficient divisibility (an existing Bitcoin assumption) it is sustainable. But as I demonstrated, it’s not necessary.

> - Pay high fees in self dealing transactions. This could work and would benefit miner.

This is essentially what I suggested, though presumably you mean Bitcoin fees not secondary network.

> - Time lock own Bitcoins. This is forgoing control of an UTXO for a time period, which implies opportunity cost. This could be done with CLTV (OP_HODL). It damages the current owner but benefits no one. The problem is one might not have substantial UTXO to  imply high enough opportunity cost.

Another reason why simply spending or burning them is preferential.

> - Pay someone else to time lock. This is paying someone to lock an UTXO for a time span. Payment and time lock could be combined in the same transaction.

This implies additional complexity with no benefit to anyone required by the scenario, which was my implication.

> - Transferable borrowed Bitcoin.  This needs the covenant. This benefits those who consciously give up control for a time span. Its advantage is that since transferable it can be sold if no longer needed, thereby shortening the term of the original arrangement. It coul be re-rented for a shorter time period.

The terms lend/borrow are misleading here, as I have previously shown. The coin is neither spendable nor consumable. This is why I have used the terms owner/renter. Yes, the renter can sell the remaining rental expense to another.

Yes, the potential incremental value over the other scenarios is transferability of the output, but this accrues to both to the advertiser/renter and the owner (trade always benefits both parties trading). This transfer incurs a fee if on chain, and in the tracking scenario may easily overwhelm the effective benefit (fraction of the rental, no higher than dust, not yet expired), making it economically non-transferrable.

In the advertising scenario this transfer can be achieved independent of Bitcoin, by simply changing the advertisement (e.g. publish a provably-superseding ad for the same output), avoiding the material on-chain fee. Recall that the value of the coin cannot be captured by the advertiser through transfer, just the tracking cost.