[bitcoin-dev] BIP174 amendment proposal (Important Signer Check should be mentioned)

Jonathan Underwood junderwood at bitcoinbank.co.jp
Tue Jul 9 15:58:56 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Just to be brief, I'll kick off with an attack scenario.

1. I am a signer, I get a PSBT that is ready to sign. I parse. I sign
according to the PSBT as-is.
2. I notice my UTXO was stolen by a hacker because they changed my PSBT
input's sighashtype to SIGHASH_ANYONECANPAY | SIGHASH_NONE and after the
fact they changed the outputs to send to themselves, and added an input
they signed with SIGHASH_ALL.
3. I lose the BTC in my UTXO.

So we should definitely add to the signer checks "ensure the sighash type
given is the type of sighash you want to sign." etc.

My proposal for a wording change would be addition to the bullet list:

- If a sighash type is provided, the signer MUST check that the sighash
type is acceptable to them, and fail signing if unacceptable.
- If a sighash type is not provided, the signer SHOULD sign using
SIGHASH_ALL, but may sign with any sighash type they wish.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon

--
Jonathan Underwood

暗号化したメッセージをお送りの方は下記の公開鍵をご利用下さい。

指紋: 0xCE5EA9476DE7D3E45EBC3FDAD998682F3590FEA3