[bitcoin-dev] Generalized covenants with taproot enable riskless or risky lending, prevent credit inflation through fractional reserve

Tamas Blummer tamas.blummer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 20:32:53 UTC 2019

Good morning ZmnSCPxj,

thank you very much for sharing your BCAN idea and thought process in detail.

I add some thoughs that very likely occured to you, but not formulated explicitelly:

1. The unique feature of such advertisement network is that it has no owner, just like the Bitcoin network.
If it had an owner, that owner could simply bill for use, but would also be forced to restrict access or apply some sort of censorship.
This is why usage costs is imposed through opportunity cost and not billed.

2. Since opportunity cost of one Bitcoin for a short time period is magnitudes less than its face value, one would need significant
Bitcoin amounts to impose meaningful costs so they have the chance to be included into BCANs purposedly limited bandwidth.
Those who would want to place an ad will often not have sufficient amount of Bitcoin holdings which lets them borrow UTXOs.

3. If borrowed Bitcoin is certain to be returned (as in your construction) then this offers riskless interest for HODLer.

4. Bitcoin’s most popular use is storing wealth whereby this use currently completely relies on the assumption that “the number goes up”.
A service that delivers interest on HODLed coins without exposing the HODLer to credit risk of the borrower is a huge game changer.

5.This scheme allows HODLer a concious decision whom or what project they fund.

For above reasons I think that this is a crucial design pattern to build censorship resistant networks which also give rise to riskless interest on Bitcoin.

My finance examples where abstract and less interesting for this audience but the BCAN should ring the bell for many.

As you said BCAN is possible with current Bitcoin, therefore we should no longer discuss it under the covenant topic.
The idea of debt covenant will likely resurface as soon as this design pattern proves to be useful in practice and one is looking for
a more flexible solution. I am confident we will get there, but not as fast as I initially thought.

Regards,

Tamas Blummer