[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Core to disable Bloom-based Filtering by default

Luke Dashjr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Jul 22 17:17:28 UTC 2019

On Monday 22 July 2019 13:25:25 Jonas Schnelli via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> > I also think as long as we don't have an alternative, we should improve
> > the current filtering for segwit. E.g. testing the scripts themselves
> > and each scriptPubKey spent by any input against the filter would do,
> > and it also fixes the main privacy issue with server-side filtering
> > (wallets have to add two items per address to the filter).
>
> I think the consensus among protocol developers is (please speak up), that
> BIP37 (public server based tx filtering) – in general – was a conceptual
> mistake. Maybe extending it further is the wrong step, especially when
> promising alternatives like BIP158 (neutrino) are around.

Neutrino is very controversial, and NOT less trustful than bloom filters.
It also uses significantly more bandwidth.

It seems a better approach is to add Stratum (Electrum) support, and to limit
usage of all pseudo-SPV protocols to trusted peers.

> The fact that nobody cared about extending it for SW may also underline that
> BIP37 is seen as a conceptual mistake and/or "low interest in further
> extensions“.

Eric Lombrozo added segwit support. While it was never reviewed for Core, it
has been included and supported in Knots since v0.15.1. As I understand it,
his mSIGNA wallet also makes usage of the feature.

Luke