[bitcoin-dev] Improving JoinMarket's resistance to sybil attacks using fidelity bonds

Tamas Blummer tamas.blummer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 08:10:15 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

yes, fidelity bonds can impose cost to make sybill attacks more expensive therefore less likely.
I prefer the flavor with CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY which imposes opportunity cost, just as effective
as burning, but is sustainable.

Imposing opportunity costs however requires larger time locked amounts than burning and the
user might not have sufficient funds to do so. This is however not a restriction but an opportunity
that can give rise to an additional market of locking UTXOs in exchange of a payment.

This would give rise to a transparent interest rate market for Bitcoin an additional huge benefit.

Regards,

Tamas Blummer