[bitcoin-dev] BIP174 extension proposal (Global Type: PSBT_GLOBAL_XPUB_SIGNATURE)

Jonathan Underwood junderwood at bitcoinbank.co.jp
Fri Jun 28 15:00:22 UTC 2019

Thanks for the reply Peter. Comments inline:

2019年6月28日(金) 23:37 Peter D. Gray <peter at coinkite.com>:

> Thanks I get the idea better now: You want the PSBT creator to be
> able to indicate to the signers that it (the PSBT creator) controls
> specific outputs that don't otherwise look like change.
>
> Some problems:
>
> > extended private key of the current signer derived from the
> > signer's root to m/2042083607'/959190427'/1400854130'/990526201'
>
> 1) The PSBT creator would need to know that private key, and the Coldcard,
> as a matter
>    of policy, will never export a private subkey.

I think you have misunderstood. The signature inserted into this 0x02 field
is generated BY the signer (Coldkey) airgapped ahead of time. Then the
signature (and all the xpubs that were signed, since basically the "key"
value contains the "pubkey" and "message" while the "value" part has the
"signature". so all data items for verification are present.) will be
stored on the unsigned transaction preparing app. (MyTrezor dot com etc.
have an encrypted storage through Dropbox + encrypting with Trezor, so
they, for instance, could store the "whitelist signatures" on that dropbox
feature.

> 2) The 'm' in that path depends on who is reading the PSBT file, in the
> multisig
>    case. Each cosigner would need a different version of the PSBT file

Again, this is the m of the signer's root. The signer should have an xprv,
or some sort of seed (a la BIP39 or aezeed or Electrum phrase etc.) that
gets turned into a xprv. That xprv is m in this case... in the case that
some offline signer is storing the xprv of some path like "xprv/25'/42'" or
something, then the signer's "identity" is whatever xprv that signer holds
and not any of the xprvs derived from that first xprv.

The reason we want only one HD key to sign it is because we want the signer
to be able to generate that path from the root xprv they hold, check that
the pubkey matched the pubkey for verification, then verify. Now the signer
knows "oh, I have signed this xpub / multisig setup before, therefore I
trust it"

> 3) XPUB's are big and hard to parse, and this addition is using lots of
> them.

Any app requiring this level of security would gladly add a few millisecond
for parsing some xpubs.
Any HD wallet that can sign using HD derived keys already has the necessary
tools to parse an xpub.

> 4) Coinjoins, and more complex script types, will want to authorize
>    outputs that the PSBT signer may not fully understand. Your proposal
>    would only help P2PKH and M-of-N multisig users.

Yes. This proposal is not a requirement. It is just a reservation for a
slot in the key-value scheme for a use case that many exchanges and
hardware wallets should implement. We have implemented something similar to
this using JSON format internally, but since HW wallet makers seem to be
moving toward PSBT adoption, I would love for this info to be possible to
be sent into an HW wallet so that Trezor etc. can implement this
"whitelist" type situation in a way that the Trezor can trust. (remember, a
"whitelist" that just lives in my trezor dot com website cache etc. is
prone to modification, whereas with my proposal the worst case is a hacker
deletes a signature, so Trezor doesn't trust something it should have, and
fails signing. It can not add itself to the "whitelist" without the HW
wallet private key.)

To fix, may I propose:

The following suggestions seems to be predicated on a misunderstanding of
my proposal, so I will hold off for now.

--
Jonathan Underwood