[bitcoin-dev] OP_CODESEPARATOR Re: BIP Proposal: The Great Consensus Cleanup

Jacob Eliosoff jacob.eliosoff at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 03:25:36 UTC 2019

> Instead, it is this soft-fork proposal that is unprecedented. Let me
> reiterate what I posted in another thread:
>
> Bitcoin has *never* made a soft-fork, since the time of Satoishi, that
> invalidated transactions that send secured inputs to secured outputs
> (excluding uses of OP_NOP1-OP_NOP10).

This principle was only ever a rule of thumb to protect users, not a
commandment from God.  It shouldn't be violated lightly, but that's why
Matt did the legwork to show that the tradeoffs around OP_CODESEPARATOR
justify removing it.

Huh?! The whole point of non-standardness in this context is to (a) make
>> soft-forking something out safer by derisking miners not upgrading right
>> away and (b) signal something that may be a candidate for soft-forking
>> out so that we get feedback. Who is getting things disabled who isn't
>> bothering to *tell* people that their use-case is being hurt?!
>>

> People have told me that they are hurt by some other non-standardness
> changes and I understand that they have been sitting on those funds for
> years.  Maybe they don't realize their is some place to complain or maybe
> they think there must be a good reason why they are not allowed to do what
> they were previously allowed to do.  Perhaps others don't want to risk
> blowing their pseudonymity.  Perhaps they think that attempting to undo
> some of these non-standardness changes is futile.  I can bring up the
> specific cases I've encountered in a new thread if you think it is
> worthwhile.

Like Matt, I understand non-standardness to be specifically for making a
transaction type more difficult to set the stage for a future disabling.

If anyone is actually harmed by this change, let them at least speak up
pseudonymously as others have before.  Backwards compatibility shouldn't
mean letting imaginary implausible cases veto net-beneficial changes.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 5:21 PM Russell O'Connor via bitcoin-dev <