[bitcoin-dev] OP_CODESEPARATOR Re: BIP Proposal: The Great Consensus Cleanup

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Tue Mar 12 02:23:33 UTC 2019

I think you may have misunderstood part of the motivation. Yes, part of the motivation *is* to remove OP_CODESEPARATOR wholesale, greatly simplifying the theoretical operation of checksig operations (thus somewhat simplifying the implementation but also simplifying analysis of future changes, such as sighash-caching code).

I think a key part of the analysis here is that no one I've spoken to (and we've been discussing removing it for *years*, including many attempts at coming up with reasons to keep it) is aware of any real proposals to use OP_CODESEPARATOR, let alone anyone using it in the wild. Hiding data in invalid pubic keys is a long-discussed-and-implemented idea (despite it's discouragement, not to mention it appears on the chain in many places).

It would end up being a huge shame to have all the OP_CORESEPARATOR mess left around after all the effort that has gone into removing it for the past few years, especially given the stark difference in visibility of a fork when compared to a standardness change.

As for your specific proposal of increasing the weight of anything that has an OP_CODESEPARATOR in it by the cost of an additional (simple) input, this doesn't really solve the issue. After all, if we're assuming some user exists who has been using sending money, unspent, to scripts with OP_CODESEPARATOR to force signatures to commit to whether some other signature was present and who won't see a (invariably media-covered) pending soft-fork in time to claim their funds, we should also assume such a user has pre-signed transactions which are time-locked and claim a number of inputs and have several paths in the script which contain OP_CODESEPARATOR, rendering their transcription invalid.

Matt