[bitcoin-dev] OP_CODESEPARATOR Re: BIP Proposal: The Great Consensus Cleanup

Jacob Eliosoff jacob.eliosoff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 22:39:28 UTC 2019

Also, if future disabling isn't the point of making a tx type like
OP_CODESEPARATOR non-standard - what is?  If we're committed to indefinite
support of these oddball features, what do we gain by making them hard to
use/mine?

I see questions like "Is it possible someone's existing tx relies on this?"
as overly black-and-white.  We all agree it's possible: the question is how
likely, vs the harms of continued support - including not just security
risks but friction on other useful changes, safety/correctness analyses,
etc.

It is so easy to say stuff like this when one's own money isn't what is at
risk.

Stepping back for a second here:  I dispute this framing.  My money *is* at
risk, because the value of my bitcoins depends on adoption and feature
growth.  And I've long viewed an absolutist, actual-known-user-indifferent
approach to backwards compatibility as the #1 impediment to Bitcoin's
adoption and growth.

Again, the point being not to throw caution to the wind, but that a case
like this where extensive research unearthed zero users, is taking caution
too far.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019, 5:48 PM Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev <