[bitcoin-dev] Signet

Varunram Ganesh contact at varunram.com
Wed Mar 13 09:15:13 UTC 2019

Hello Kalle,

I like your idea of a signet as it would greatly help test reorgs and stuff
without having to experiment with regtest. But I'm a bit concerned about
running a common signet (Signet1) controlled by a trusted entity. I guess
if someone wants to test signet on a global scale, they could spin up a
couple nodes in a couple places (and since it is anyway trusted, they can
choose to run it on centralised services like AWS). Another concern is that
the maintainer might have unscheduled work, emergencies, etc and that could
affect how people test stuff on. This would also mean that we need people
to run signet1 nodes in parallel with current testnet nodes (one could
argue that Signet is trusted anyway and this doesn't matter, still)

I'm sure you would have considered these while designing, so would be great
to hear your thoughts.

Regards,
Varunram