[bitcoin-dev] Removal of reject network messages from Bitcoin Core (BIP61)

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Wed Mar 13 14:29:43 UTC 2019

On 12/03/2019 23.14, Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 7:45 PM Andreas Schildbach via bitcoin-dev
> <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> These two cases are understood and handled by current code. Generally
>> the idea is take reject messages serious, but don't overrate the lack
>> of. Luckily, network confirmations fill the gap. (Yes, a timeout is
>
> I'd like to better understand this, but it would be easier to just
> read the code than ask a bunch of questions. I tried looking for the
> handling of reject messages in Android  Bitcoin Wallet and BitcoinJ
> and didn't really find and handling other than logging exceptions.
> Would you mind giving me a couple pointers to where in the code
> they're handled?

It's implemented in bitcoinj's TransactionBroadcast class. Received
reject messages are collected and -- if a certain consensus (currently:
half of connected peers) is reached -- a RejectedTransactionException is
raised.

The handling of that exception in Bitcoin Wallet is extremely
rudimentary. I think it still only shows the exception message. But
certainly I was hoping to improve on this soon.