[bitcoin-dev] Payjoin privacy with the receiver of the transaction

Kenshiro [] tensiam at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 10:55:34 UTC 2019

Hi,

I think Payjoin can be a very good privacy solution for Bitcoin, but I have a question about it:

- If a user has 1 BTC in a single address and make a payjoin payment to other person of 0.1 BTC using that address as input, the other person can see in a blockchain explorer the change address with an amount of 0.9 BTC. That's a serious privacy leak. I would like to know what will be the standard solution to this issue. An easy fix could be that the user wallet check if any address contains a BTC amount higher than a "safe" amount like 0.01 BTC or less. If some address exceed that amount the wallet could automatically make 1 payment to itself to split the amount in several addresses. In this way nobody receiving a payment from a user will ever know that he has a bitcoin balance higher than the "safe" amount.

What do you think?

Regards,