[bitcoin-dev] Congestion Control via OP_CHECKOUTPUTSHASHVERIFY proposal

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Sat May 25 03:56:22 UTC 2019

Good morning Jeremy,

I believe I have caught the general point.
Indeed, I agree that this is useful, but it is *not* useful for these cases:

1.  CoinJoin - the initial funding transaction must be signed by the participants anyway after checking that the output is correct.
    Further any spend that is not a signature spend is going to defeat the purpose of CoinJoin trying to be private by imitating "typical" spends: if `OP_CHECKOUTPUTSHASHVERIFY` path is used, you have just lost the CoinJoin privacy by reducing anonymity set.
2.  Channel Factories - the initial funding transaction must be signed by the participants anyway after each initial sub-channel initial commitment / initial update+state transaction is signed.

In both above cases, the issue of users dropping out during the step of signing the initial funding transaction is unavoidable even with `OP_CHECKOUTPUTSHASHVERIFY`.

For congestion control, and for general "I promise to set this up later" as in c*stodial-service-directly-to-channel etc., I already agree this is useful.

My objection lies *only* with the above two cases, wherein `OP_CHECKOUTPUTSHASHVERIFY` does not really improve things, as you *still* need to coordinate multiple signers anyway.

You have convinced me already that the other cases are good example usages of this opcode.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.