[bitcoin-dev] Two questions about segwit implementation

Thomas Kerin me at thomaskerin.io
Sun May 26 19:34:55 UTC 2019

The scriptSig when evaluated populates the stack so opcodes can operate
on them. A witness is essentially a list of data elements, quite similar
to the script stack (the witness is passed in as the script stack in fact)

OP_0 when evaluated pushes a _zero length_ value onto the stack, hence
the 00 (the varlen) in the witness serialization. OP_1 (51 in decimal)
pushes 0x01 to the stack, so when serialized would be 0101.

It may help to consider the entire witness structure as
vector<vector<data element>> and it's length must equal the number of
inputs - so a non-segwit input must have a zero sized witness.