[bitcoin-dev] I want to rebuild the GUI in JavaScript

Jonas Schnelli dev at jonasschnelli.ch
Sat Nov 23 18:27:47 UTC 2019

Hi

This is probably the wrong place to discuss that (OT).

> I’d like to try to rebuild Bitcoin Core GUI using the JavaScript Electron framework. My goal is to get a real world understanding of the pros and cons of moving from Qt to Electron.

There is a relatively new Bitcoin Core Github issue that covers that topic [1].
AFAIK many Bitcoin Core contributors (and users?) don’t like the idea of having a Browser and JavaScript to achieve a UI with relatively simple user-stories.

I think if you want to do this, try to work on a third party project and let your Electron UI connect to Bitcoin Core over RPC.
To avoid pulling, eventually use ZMQ or help getting long polling into Bitcoin Core [2].

Adding a Electron/JavaScript UI to the Bitcoin Core repository is very unlikely to happen.

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17395
[2] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7949