[bitcoin-dev] Removal of reject network messages from Bitcoin Core (BIP61)

John Newbery john at johnnewbery.com
Wed Oct 16 16:43:53 UTC 2019

Following discussion on this mailing list, support for BIP 61 REJECT
messages was not removed from Bitcoin Core in V0.19. The behaviour in that
upcoming release is that REJECT messages are disabled by default and can be
enabled using the `-enablebip61` command line option.

Support for REJECT messages will be removed entirely in Bitcoin Core V0.20,
expected for release in mid 2020. The PR to remove support was merged into
Bitcoin Core's master branch this week.

Adoption of new Bitcoin Core versions across reachable nodes generally
takes several months. https://bitnodes.earn.com/dashboard/?days=365 shows
that although v0.18 was released in May 2019, there are still several
hundred reachable nodes on V0.17, V0.16, V0.15 and earlier software.
Software that currently use REJECT messages from public nodes for
troubleshooting issues therefore have plenty of time to transition to one
of the methods listed by Marco in the email above.

John

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 10:28 PM Marco Falke via bitcoin-dev <