[bitcoin-dev] Trustless hash-price insurance contracts

Lucas H lucash.dev at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 19:45:49 UTC 2019

Hi, guys.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and discuss my post.

I definitely wasn't clear enough about the problem statement -- so let me
try to clarify my thinking.

First, the main uncertainty the miner is trying to protect against isn't
the inefficiency of his new equipment, but how much new mining equipment is
being deployed world-wide, which he can't know in advance (as the system is
permissionless).

Second, there are two different metrics that can mean "profitable" that I
think are getting confused (probably my fault for lack of using the right
terms).

- Let's call it "operational profitability", and use "P" to denote it,
where P = [bitcoin earned]/time - [operational cost of running
equipment]/time.
   Obviously if P < 0, the miner will just shut down his equipment.
- Return on investment (ROI). A positive ROI requires not just that P > 0,
but that it is enough to compensate for the initial investment of buying or
building the equipment. As long as P > 0, a miner will keep his equipment
running, even at a negative ROI, as the alternative would be an even worse
negative ROI. Sure he can sell it, but however buys it will also keep it
running, otherwise the equipment is worthless.

The instrument I describe above protects against the scenario where P > 0,
but ROI < 0.
(it's possible it could be useful in some cases to protect against P < 0,
but that's not my main motivator and isn't an assumption)

If too many miners are deploying too much new equipment at the same time,
it's possible that your ROI becomes negative, while nobody shuts down their
equipment and the difficulty still keeps going up. In fact, it is possible
for all miners to have negative ROI for a while without a reduction in
difficulty. Difficulty would only go down in this case at the end of life
of these equipment, if there isn't a new wave of even more efficient
equipment
being adopted before that.

Let's see a simplified scenario in which the insurance becomes useful. This
is just one example, and other scenarios could also work.

- Bitcoin price relatively constant, that is, it's not the main driver of P
during this period.
- Approximately constant block rewards.
- New equipment comes to market with much higher efficiency than all old
equipment. So the old stock of old equipment becomes irrelevant after a
short while.
- All miners decide to deploy new equipment, but none knows how much the
others are deploying, or when, or at what price or P.
- Let's just assume P>0 for all miners using the new equipment.
- Let's assume every unit of the new equipment runs at the same maximum
hashrate it's capable of.

Let's say miner A buys Na units of the new equipment and the total number
deployed by all miners is N.

A's share of the block rewards will be Na / N.

If N is much higher than A's initial estimate, his ROI might well become
negative, and the insurance would help him prevent a loss.

Hope this makes the problem a bit clearer.

Thanks!
@lucash-dev