[bitcoin-dev] Timelocks and Lightning on MimbleWimble

Lloyd Fournier lloyd.fourn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 18:54:34 UTC 2019

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

I can give some context on the exchange during the talk. I was the "Q" and
Andrew Polestra was the "A".

I followed up with Andrew after and he indeed knew about the pre-signed
nlocktime transaction double spend technique (actually, I thought he was
the one who originally came up with that idea for scriptless atomic swaps).
He clarified saying that you can do that with locktime (absolute time
locks) but not with sequence numbers (relative time locks). i.e. to enforce
sequence numbers you need to use OP_CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY. He said that it
would make sense to change that so it's enforced regardless of script.

However, I talked to Antoine Riard later who was adamant that sequence
numbers already worked as expected. He pointed to the fact that BIP68
already describes it as an independent constraint [1]

So if things do work as described in BIP68 then we should be able to do
lightning on Bitcoin without any script once we have Schnorr. I'm keen to
actually figure out all the details of how to do this. It works in my head
but I think I should write it down somewhere to make sure it works.

 [1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0068.mediawiki

LL

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 5:52 PM ZmnSCPxj via bitcoin-dev <