[bitcoin-dev] Statechain implementations

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Sat Apr 4 12:07:28 UTC 2020

Good morning Nadav,

Indeed.

It seems to me that practical deployments of statechains requires the statechain operator to be a trusted federation, possibly a k-of-n.
This is slightly better than a federated sidechain because the money can always be reclaimed on the blockchain layer very quickly in case of a loss of trust in the federation.
If the k-of-n is arranged in such a way that the signers can be identified (such as by use of old `OP_CHECKMULTISIG` or some combination of the proposed `OP_CHECKSIGADD`) then it has the same "auditability", i.e. you can identify the pseudonyms of the members who cheated (which is not worth much, as getting a new pseudonym is trivial).

It is helpful to remember that a k-of-n federation can only be trusted if you have full trust in at least (n - k + 1) members of the federation.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj