[bitcoin-dev] Revisiting squaredness tiebreaker for R point in BIP340

Nadav Kohen nadav at suredbits.com
Wed Aug 12 20:19:01 UTC 2020

Hello Pieter and all,

I am one of the maintainers of Bitcoin-S[1] and I maintain our secp256k1
bindings (via JNI) as well as our (inefficient) bouncy castle fallback
implementations of all secp256k1 functionality we depend on including
Schnorr signatures. In light of this new information that there is no real
downside to using evenness as the nonce tie-breaker, I am personally very
in favor of this change as it strictly simplifies things as well as making
types consistent between nonces and persistent signing keys (I can get rid
of our SchnorrNonce type :). An additional minor benefit not already
mentioned is that in places in our codebase where deserialized data is just
being passed around and not used, we currently require a computation to go
from a (x-only) SchnorrNonce to an ECPublicKey whereas going from a
SchnorrPublicKey simply requires pre-pending a 0x02 byte.

I am likely not aware of the entire impact that changing the BIP at this
stage would have but from my view (of having to update bindings and test
vectors and my fallback implementation, as well as wanting to get a stable
branch on secp256k1-zkp containing both ECDSA adaptor signatures and
Schnorr signatures for use in Discreet Log Contracts), I think this change
is totally worth it and it will only become harder to make this
simplification in the future. The schnorrsig branch has not yet been merged
into secp256k1 (and is nearing this stage I think) and so long as making
this change doesn't set us back more than a month (which seems unlikely) I
am personally in favor of making this change. Glad to hear other's thoughts
on this of course but I figured I'd voice my support :)

Best,
Nadav

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin-s/bitcoin-s/

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 2:04 PM Pieter Wuille via bitcoin-dev <