[bitcoin-dev] Softchains: Sidechains as a Soft Fork via Proof-of-Work Fraud Proofs

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Thu Dec 31 23:26:24 UTC 2020

Good morning Ruben, and list,

First and foremost --- what is the point of sidechains, in the first place?

If sidechains are for experimental new features, then softforking in a new sidechain with novel untested new features would be additionally risky --- as you note, a bug in the sidechain consensus may cause non-deterministic consensus in the sidechain which would propagate into mainchain.
Federated sidechains, which already are enabled on current Bitcoin, are safer here, as mainchain will only care about the k-of-n signature that the federation agrees on, and if the federation is unable to come to consensus due to a sidechain consensus bug, "fails safe" in that it effectively disables the peg-out back to mainchain and restricts the consensus problem to the sidechain.

If sidechains are for scaling, then I would like to remind anyone reading this that ***blockchains do not scale***, and adding more blockchains for the purpose of scaling is *questionable*.
"I have a scaling problem.
I know, I will add a sidechain!
Now I have two scaling problems."

Ultimately, proof-of-work is about energy expenditure, and you would be splitting the global energy budget for blockchain security among multiple blockchains, thus making each blockchain easier to 51%.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj