[bitcoin-dev] Taproot (and graftroot) complexity

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 22:32:41 UTC 2020

 > In particular, you care more about privacy when you are contesting a
> close of a channel or other script path because then the miners could be
more
> likely to extract a rent from you as "ransom" for properly closing your
channel
> (or in other words, in a contested close the value of the closing
transaction is
> larger than usual).

Not sure this point holds, independently of which Taproot/MASTmechanism
deployed,
any time-sensitive transaction will likely leak its "contestness" by the
setting of its
nSequence/nLocktime fields. E.g, for LN, justice tx are not encumbered by a
CSV
delay which distinguish them from a non-revoked spend. And when you're
relaying
htlcs and need to close unilaterally channel to prevent different
settlement on
incoming/outgoing links the HTLC-timeout tx broadcast have a nLocktime set.

Beyond LN, timelocks are a privacy leak and miner-withholding vector for any
offchain protocols but this problem is not tied to Taproot design.
Confidential
enforcement of them would be great but that's another debate..

Antoine