[bitcoin-dev] Modern Soft Fork Activation

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Fri Jan 10 22:21:51 UTC 2020

Well, bip9 doesn't only fall apart in case of unreasonable objection,
it also fails simply with miners' apathy.
Anyway, your proposed plan should take care of that case too, I think.
Overall sounds good to me.

Regarding bip8-like activation, luke-jr suggested that instead of
simply activating on date x if failed to do so by miners' signaling, a
consensus rule could require the blocks to signal for activation in
the last activation window.
I see 2 main advantages for this:

1) Outdated nodes can implement warnings (like in bip9) and they can
see those warnings even if it's activated in the last activation
window. Of course this can become counterproductive if miners' squat
signaling bits for asicboost again.

2) It is easier for users to actively resist a given change they
oppose. Instead of requiring signaling, their nodes can be set to
ignore chains that activate it. This will result in a fork, but if
different groups of users want different things, this is arguably the
best behaviour: a "clean" split.

I assume many people won't like this, but I really think we should
consider how users should ideally resist an unwanted change, even if
the proponents had the best intentions in mind, there may be
legitimate reasons to resist it that they may not have considered.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 10:30 PM Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev