[bitcoin-dev] Announcing Bitcoin Wallet Tracker

Nadav Ivgi nadav at shesek.info
Mon Jun 1 08:10:50 UTC 2020

Hi Antoine,

I designed both APIs, so they definitely do share some similarities.

It's difficult to compare their performance directly, since
esplora-electrs keeps a full index of everything, while bwt tracks
your wallet addresses only.

If you're only interested in your wallet addresses and don't have a
*really* huge number of them, bwt will definitely perform better, as
it can avoid a lot of unnecessary indexing work. If you do have a lot
of addresses, esplora-electrs will be better suited for the job, as
its designed to deal with high volumes of data and does not rely on
the bitcoind wallet functionality, which was not designed for this.

I'm not sure where the line for "really huge" crosses exactly though,
I have not put this to the test. Definitely if you're tracking
millions of addresses, probably also for hundreds of thousands,
possibly even less?

API design wise, the main differences between the two are:

- Esplora provides every bit of information one might want to know
about transactions/blocks, while bwt intentionally tries to reduce
this to the subset useful in the context of app development.

- bwt provides wallet-contextual information, like key origins next to
addresses and the net change inflicted on the wallet's balance by
transactions.

- Esplora doesn't provide real-time updates (yet), while bwt provides
them using two different mechanisms (SSE and Web Hooks).

Nadav