[bitcoin-dev] BIP OP_CHECKTEMPLATEVERIFY

Joachim Strömbergson joachimstr at protonmail.com
Sun Jun 7 16:51:10 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

regarding OP_CTV, I am considering the scaling use case, specifically an exchange (or similar) who wants to batch pay to OP_CTV to many users, and I wonder

1) How do you expect the exchange to communicate the proof of the payment to the user wallets such that they are able to construct the follow up transactions and accept the payment. This is UI question. Do you expect exchanges to provide a certain importable file/blob that the wallet will allow you to entry?

2) Who pays the fees and how for the transaction within the structure that OP_CTVed output is committed to? Say there is a tree structure and I want to get the coin out. Someone needs to send log(N) transactions to the chain in order for me to get access to the final UTXO I am interested in. Who can construct such transaction path and what do they need for it and who pays fees on that (which input)?

3) Depending on 2) above, is it not possible for a malicious entity who is among the many users being paid, but who has very small UTXO there relative to others, to construct this middle transaction and use a very small fee rate in order to DoS other participants. Is it even possible for this attacker to create the middle transaction with RBF disabled?

Thank you,
Joachim