[bitcoin-dev] Blind Statechains

Ruben Somsen rsomsen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 20:35:37 UTC 2020

Hi Tom,

Blind signatures are certainly a nice feature, great to see that you're
considering it.

>So each new owner of a UTXO must receive, store and verify the full
sequence of previous owner backup transactions to make sure that no
previous owner has asked the SE to sign a transaction that could be used to
steal the UTXO. This may end up making wallets more bloated and clunky,
given that ownership of a UTXO could change hands thousands of times
off-chain.

Users would have to validate the history of the chain regardless, even if
it wasn't blind, to verify whether the statechain entity hasn't been
cheating, so the main difference would be in unblinding the data.

One of my original ideas was to use the transitory key to derive the
secrets that blind the signatures (basically like an HD wallet). The
statechain entity would then store and serve blind signatures, and any new
owner would download and unblind/verify them using the transitory key (no
extensive peer-to-peer transfer needed). It's possible to make the
off-chain transactions themselves deterministic, so they can just be
generated by the client without any additional data transfer. The only
potentially unique thing in a transaction is the refund address, but this
can be the same key as the ownership key on the statechain, tweaked with
the transitory key via Diffie-Hellman (to ensure it's not linkable if it
goes on-chain).

The general downside of this method is that all transactions are exposed to
anyone who learns the transitory key -- not just for the current
transactions (which can always be leaked no matter what you do), but also
all future transactions in that particular statechain. However, I should
note there doesn't actually seem to be much to learn, because the history
of each statechain is actually quite uninformative. The money just goes
from one pseudonymous owner to the next.

Of course you now have scheme that changes the transitory key with each
step, so I instead suggest you introduce a secondary "blinding key" to
achieve what I described.

I'm not sure whether this can also apply to 2P-ECDSA, but with Schnorr the
statechain entity wouldn't even learn the address for the funding
transaction, so it wouldn't be able to tell which UTXO it controls by
watching the blockchain. Ideally, this functionality would be preserved to
ensure the statechain entity can't be aware of the funds it's holding.

Another thing to note is that you won't know when a statechain has been
pegged out, so pruning will be impossible. You may wish to consider some
kind of liveness rule where one statechain transaction needs to be made per
year. If they miss the deadline, they're just forced on-chain, which is not
terrible, in any case.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ruben

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 9:23 PM Tom Trevethan via bitcoin-dev <