[bitcoin-dev] Blind Statechains

Tom Trevethan tom at commerceblock.com
Sun Jun 14 22:24:47 UTC 2020

Hi Ruben,

Thanks for the comments.

> Users would have to validate the history of the chain regardless, even if
it wasn't blind, to verify whether the statechain entity hasn't been
cheating, so the main difference would be in unblinding the data.

My understanding was that users would need to verify the uniqueness of the
ownership of the previous owner, and verify that the ownership had been
signed over (which acts as proof of ownership in case the SE steals) but
that backup transaction rules would be enforced by the SE (the SE must be
trusted to not collude with a previous owner to sign a 'theft' transaction
before the UTXO is sold on). Even if a new owner verifying that all of the
previous backup transactions are correct does not prove that the SE has not
signed anything else we don't know about.

In the case of a blinded SE, we were thinking the way it could work is that
the SE would still need to be trusted to state how many times it had
co-signed. So a new owner would ask the SE how many times it has signed
something (e.g. 27) and then the new owner would need to check that there
are exactly 27 back up transactions and verify that each one was following
the rules. Then when it came to transfer, they would send the 27 + their
own backup to the new owner, who would then ask the SE again how many it
had signed.

Yes, the SE can store all of these transactions, encrypted with the current
owners key, to make the UX easier.

> I'm not sure whether this can also apply to 2P-ECDSA, but with Schnorr
the statechain entity wouldn't even learn the address for the funding
transaction, so it wouldn't be able to tell which UTXO it controls by
watching the blockchain. Ideally, this functionality would be preserved to
ensure the statechain entity can't be aware of the funds it's holding.

Yes, that is the aim. Like you mentioned, this may help a lot with legal
status of the SE, but also prevent the SE from being able to link swaps
(while still performing them atomically).

> Another thing to note is that you won't know when a statechain has been
pegged out, so pruning will be impossible. You may wish to consider some
kind of liveness rule where one statechain transaction needs to be made per
year. If they miss the deadline, they're just forced on-chain, which is not
terrible, in any case.

Interesting point. I guess it is not in the interest of the owner to tell
the SE that they have pegged-out a UTXO (as the SE might be able to
correlate with on-chain txs). Maybe the user wallet can send the SE
a message that the UTXO is pegged out some random interval after it has
happened.

Cheers,

Tom