[bitcoin-dev] [Lightning-dev] RBF Pinning with Counterparties and Competing Interest

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Wed Jun 24 08:32:52 UTC 2020

Given transaction relay delays and a network topology that is rather transparent if you look closely enough, I think this is very real and very practical (double-digit % success rate, at least, with some trial and error probably 50+). That said, we all also probably know most of the people who know enough to go from zero to doing this practically next week. As for motivated folks who have lots of time to read code and dig, this seems like something worth fixing in the medium term.

Your observation is what’s largely led me to conclude there isn’t a lot we can do here without a lot of creativity and fundamental rethinking of our approach. One thing I keep harping on is maybe saving the blind-CPFP approach with a) eltoo, and b) some kind of magic transaction relay metadata that allows you to specify “this spends at least one output on any transaction that spends output X” so that nodes can always apply it properly. But maybe that’s a pipedream of complexity. I know Antoine has other thoughts.

Matt