[bitcoin-dev] MAD-HTLC

Stanga stanga at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 06:28:58 UTC 2020

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

That's a good point. Basically there are two extremes, if everyone is
non-myoptic (rational), they should wait even for a small fee (our mad-htlc
result), and if everyone else is myopic (rational), a non-myopic miner
should only wait for a fairly large fee, depending on miner sizes and the
timeout -- this is analyzed in an earlier paper by Winzer, Herd and Faust
[1]. In a mixed situation the calculation becomes slightly more involved,
but qualitatively it's closer to the Wizner et al. result, namely the bribe
should grow exponentially with the timeout, which is bad for the attacker.
But mad-htlc avoids myopic assumptions, allowing you to keep your contracts
safe either way.

Best,
Ittay

[1] F. Winzer, B. Herd and S. Faust, "Temporary Censorship Attacks in the
Presence of Rational Miners
<https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8802377>," *2019 IEEE
European Symposium on Security and Privacy Workshops (EuroS&PW)*,
Stockholm, Sweden, 2019, pp. 357-366, doi: 10.1109/EuroSPW.2019.00046.