[bitcoin-dev] Schnorr sigs vs pairing sigs

Lloyd Fournier lloyd.fourn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 06:40:24 UTC 2020

Hi Erik,

There are a strong arguments for and against pairing based sigs in Bitcoin.
One very strong argument in favour over non-deterministic signatures like
Schnorr over BLS is it enables a kind of signature encryption called
"adaptor signatures". This construction is key to many exciting up and
coming layer 2 protocols and isn't possible unless the signature scheme
uses randomness.

self plug: I have a paper on this topic called "One-Time Verifiably
Encrypted Signatures A.K.A Adaptor Signatures"
 https://github.com/LLFourn/one-time-VES/blob/master/main.pdf

LL

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 6:03 AM Erik Aronesty via bitcoin-dev <